I received a bi-disciplinary education in biology and computational sciences. I'm an evolutionary biologist, particularly interested in the mechanisms of diversification of prokaryotes (archaea and bacteria). I study this aspect at different scales: from enzymes, to macromolecular complexes, and genome dynamics with respect to environmental adaptations. When needed, I design new computational methods in the field of comparative genomics and phylogenomics.
- 2017 - now: CNRS researcher
- 2015 - 2017: Post-doc at the University of Vienna (Christa Schleper's lab) ; Marie-Curie fellow (2016-2017)
- 2010 - 2014: Post-doc at the Pasteur Institute (Eduardo Rocha's lab)
- 2010: phD at the University of Lyon (LBBE lab, superv. by Vincent Daubin and Manolo Gouy)
Designed software and tools
- Prunier: software for phylogenetic identification of lateral gene transfers.
- MacSyFinder: software for the modeling and detection of macromolecular systems in genomes.
- TXSScan: a MacSyFinder-based tool for the detection of bacterial secretion systems and appendages in genomes.
- Cas-Finder: a MacSyFinder-based tool for the detection and classification of CRISPR-associated (Cas) systems in genomes.
Microbial evolution ; Molecular evolution ; Phylogenetics ; Comparative genomics ; Metagenomics ; Bioinformatics
2018 – Abby SS*, Melcher M*, Kerou M, Krupovic M, Stieglmeier M, Rossel C, Pfeifer K, Schleper C.
Candidatus Nitrosocaldus cavascurensis, an Ammonia Oxidizing, Extremely Thermophilic Archaeon with a Highly Mobile Genome.
Frontiers in Microbiology. 2018 Jan 26;9:28. doi: 10.3389/fmicb.2018.00028. * Authors contributed equally.
2017 – Abby SS, Rocha EPC.
Identification of Protein Secretion Systems in Bacterial Genomes Using MacSyFinder.
Methods in Molecular Biology. 2017;1615:1-21. doi:10.1007/978-1-4939-7033-9_1.
2016 – Kerou M, Offre P, Valledor L, Abby SS, Melcher M, Nagler M, Weckwerth W, Schleper C.
Proteomics and comparative genomics of Nitrososphaera viennensis reveal the core genome and adaptations of archaeal ammonia oxidizers.
Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA. 2016 Dec 6;113(49):E7937-E7946.
2016 – Abby SS, Cury J, Guglielmini J, Néron B, Touchon M, Rocha EP.
Identification of protein secretion systems in bacterial genomes.
Scientific Reports. 2016 Mar 16;6:23080. doi: 10.1038/srep23080.
2014 – Abby SS, Néron B, Ménager H, Touchon M, Rocha EP.
MacSyFinder: a program to mine genomes for molecular systems with an application to CRISPR-Cas systems.
PLoS One. 2014 Oct 17;9(10):e110726. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0110726.
2012 – Abby SS, Rocha EPC.
The Non-Flagellar Type III Secretion System Evolved from the Bacterial Flagellum and Diversified into Host-Cell Adapted Systems
2012 – Abby SS, Tannier E, Gouy M, Daubin V.
Lateral gene transfer as a support for the tree of life*
Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 109 (13), 4962-4967 *Featured in "This Week in PNAS".
2010 – Abby SS, Tannier E, Gouy M, Daubin V.
Detecting lateral gene transfers by statistical reconciliation of phylogenetic forests
2018: EMBO workshop "mboA6" - molecular Biology of Archaea 6 (Vienna, Austria)
2018: French Alphy-GTGC meeting (Montpellier, France)
- 2018: Montpellier OMICS days (Montpellier, France)
- 2017: iCON 5 - Fifth International Conference on Nitrification and Related Processes (Vienna, Austria)
- 2016: Jacques Monod Conference Series - "Molecules as documents of evolutionary history: 50 years later" (Roscoff, France)